Monday, June 25, 2018

Stencil Storage Folder

Hi everyone!

My 6"x6" stencil collection has grown exponentially of late and I had to do something about it. Not only because they've multiplied, but the A5 binder I had them in just wasn't working. As the folder sleeves were 6" wide and the stencils were 6" wide, the stencils were tearing the plastic sleeves every time I was trying to get them out or put them back in.

I had previously made a folder for my 6"x6" stencils but I used cardstock for the hinges (slotted into a 2 ring binder) which made it bulkier than I wanted. So this time I used Tyvek envelopes instead of the cardstock. The cardstock only fit 18 double pages and the coptic bound Tyvek hinges will fit 44 double pages!!! I could have made more but the 3 envelopes I cut up only made 44 and I wasn't about to cut up another just to add 6 more pages to get a 50 page binder LOL.

Anyway, I streamed live on YouTube painting the covers and you can watch the two parts by clicking the links below:

Stencil Folder Storage - Outside Covers
Stencil Folder Storage - Inside Covers

I then cut out all the Tyvek hinges, scored them, added double-sided tape and then bound them using the coptic binding method. I found a coptic binding tutorial on YouTube (there are plenty there) and used this one. You can check this binding method out by CLICKING HERE.

Once I bound the hinges I then cut all the plastic sleeves down to size then attached them to the hinges.

Finally I cut some vinyl down to size and adhered it to the front & back covers using liquid glue.

I did a quick video on how the folder came together and you can check it out by CLICKING HERE.

There are only a few tools & products required to make this storage folder and they are as follows:

  • 2 pieces of chipboard cut to 8 1/4" (wide) x 8" (tall)
  • 44 strips of Tyvek cut to 2" (wide) by 8" (tall) scored in half at 1"
    1 Large Tyvek envelope (15 1/2" x 12") cuts 21 strips at 7 1/2" x 2"
    1 Medium Tyvek envelope (9" x 12") cuts 10 strips at 7 1/2" x 2"
  • 1 strip of cardstock for binding template
    Pierce holes for hinges at 3/4",1 3/4", 2 3/4", 3 3/4", 4 3/4", 5 3/4", 6 3/4"
    Pierce holes for covers (3/8" in from edge) at 1", 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7"
  • 44 plastic sleeves cut down to 7 1/2" x 7 1/2"
  • 2 rolls Scor-tape (I used probably 1 full roll and probably a quarter of a second roll)
  • a piece of vinyl (or preferred spine material) cut to 4 1/2" (wide) x 8" (tall)
  • A few yards of waxed linen thread (or dental floss) for the coptic binding
  • 44 sheets of cardstock (for inside plastic sleeves) cut to 7 1/4" x 7 1/4"












Thanks so much for stopping by!

Smiles
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment