Saturday, May 26, 2012

Log Cabin Project

This project was something I started after watching Jean (MusicScrp) made a laptop computer style box in a recent secret box swap. I wanted to see if I could actually make it.
Well, I did, but I don't think I'd ever attempt it again! It was very time-consuming - all that cutting of the 3/4" strips, wetting them and rolling them into logs took forever! Not to mention the roof! The roof was made of silver corrugated cardstock which I alcohol inked to make it look rustic.
I did enjoy making the chimney, though. Using tissue paper I stamped the brick pattern using archival black ink, sprayed LSG sprays and Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists, ran it through the Xyron and covered the chipboard-made chimney. I think this section came out the best!Link
The floor of the verandah was made using 1/2" strips of chipboard cut to varying lengths then adhered to the base piece of chipboard, then painted. The same method was used for the side door (which is the cover of the spine on the mini album).
The front door was made from a solid piece of 6 x 3" chipboard which I scored vertically every half inch to make it look like it was made of timber strips, I then painted it and added paper hinges (cut from Cricut) and attached it using a paper hinge on the inside. The door pull was a brad I bought from an Etsy store - love them!
The entire piece measures (approx) 12" wide by 11" tall by 10" deep.
I did stream most of the project and you can see part 1 here.
A slideshow of some of the process is also on YouTube and you can see it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment